In the lab sometimes one needs a possibility to move something along the Z-direction. Many – mostly expenssive – possibilities are around. Piezo driven actuators are around from many different companies for example.
For my optical interferometer I had to move a mirror. Therefore I was thinking of a cheap and easy to use
Today we produced this neat image with an old Zeiss Jamin-Lebedeff Interference Microscope. We developed some adapter for the polarizer to adjust its orientation. Our 3D printer made the housing. The 50 years old Microscope is now equiped and ready to work – again!
There are several ways, how one can integrate the powerful machine-learning framework of Google into an Android App, but most of the examples – at least the ones I found – only showed how the example build has to be built using the Bazel build tools. I wanted tot he „old-school“ way using just the Android Studio and use the Tensorflow Framework as a 3rd party dependency.
There are several materials to use with 3D printers. Most of the time I use PLA in my prints, but there is also ABS (the „Lego“-material), PMMA and Plexiglas. There is also this comparable new thing called Ninjaflex. It can be used as any other filament, but the result is flexible. Astonishingly flexible!
A very cheap method to realize a spatial light modulator one can simply use an off-the-shelf LCD module driven by an Arduino. When removing the backlight and putting the LCD in the optical path, it acts as a very cheap mask. Controlling the device via MATLAB or PYTHON is an easy task to do!
In my work I tried to implement a SERVER<-> Client interarction, where Matlab sends command and the Arduino executes them.
When characterizing cells or any other microscopic objects it’s sometimes useful to guide them through tiny channels when observing or counting them under the microscope. The term is sometimes called as microfluidics. Therefore many different methods exist to create these devices. One method etches channels in glass or plastic, another additively procedure – sometimes called photolithography – cures a photoresist/resin to get a 3D-like structure after washing the uncured parts away. This usually costs lots of money. Further details here: http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2016/lc/c6lc00284f
One part of my research was to improve phase-contrast using a brightfield microscope without adding any special optics like the DIC-prism or phasering in Zernike phase-contrast. Defined phase objects are hard to get. Thinking about a light guide embedded in immersion oil could be one chance to have a phase object, but this extends the field of view (FOV) of a 20x/63x objective which was used in my setup.
Cells are usually amorphous and won’t have defined phase retardation. Therefore I was thinking about a way how I can get a defined phase on the cheap with off the shelf components.